life in the suture zone...

In the earthquake faults between tectonic plates, the suture zone is the in between place where they meet. I find in that a metaphor for the times in which we live... and invite your conversation in the suture zone.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bakersfield, CA, United States

... a struggling, but mostly joyful, apprentice of Jesus.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

coloring outside the lines...

A thought tangent (common occurrence with ADD people--that's Attention Deficit Disorder... now, let's see... where was I?) that came to me in reading a friend's blog....

We are generally known as a species for our ability to invent, create and otherwise manipulate our surroundings (or elements found in our surroundings) into works that are recognized as beautiful. While it may be true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it is still common for any given beholder to recognize what for them is beauty. Even to create it.

We are not all Rembrandt or Rodin or Dali. Not all of us have a fast ball like Sandy Kolfax had. A cello in my hands is laughable compared to Yo Yo Ma. But nearly all of us are creative in our own way.

So, are traditional thoughts of heaven skewed? Will there be creative outlet for God's creative creatures? What of a writer of stories who finds an audience by exploring conflict?

I have found the ancient concept of perichoresis, the Great Dance, quite beautiful. It is an intricate picture of all of creation moving in exquisite harmony in a complex dance that is impossible to imagine in its complexity. But if I have a part in that dance, will that be the equivalent of dancing prepared steps? Will freestyle fit? Will there be an ability to color outside the lines?

And especially since I am a writer of fiction, what of conflict, the root of all good stories?

Just wondering....

Grace and peace,

Owen

P.S. Still working on exhausted lives.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have danced for 76 years, but I cannot say where and I cannot remember how, for that is to place it in time.
The dances began with an inner freedom from as ordinary desire.My dancing releases action, sufferering and a certain release or rush as I scurry to the darkest of corners to take in a grace of sense, a welcoming light that stills all silence..t.y for coloring outside the lines.
outside the lines

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home