life in the suture zone...

In the earthquake faults between tectonic plates, the suture zone is the in between place where they meet. I find in that a metaphor for the times in which we live... and invite your conversation in the suture zone.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bakersfield, CA, United States

... a struggling, but mostly joyful, apprentice of Jesus.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

posting delay/family matters...

If it seems like I left you hanging and dropped off the face of the earth, it's because my mother-in-law is going through the very painful and long process of dying.

She is a sweet person and it is hard to see her going through this. Dorothy has been down here in Santa Paula everyweekend and sometimes during the week. I have been down here nearly every weekend.

While today is not a good day, she has been more expressive today than we've seen her in weeks. It has helped me today to know that she very much doesn't want to drag this out. That has been very clear. Though she can't speak more than one or two words a day, if at all, today she seems to be aware and communicating her desire to be done with this. My wife and her brother amended their mom's comfort care order today, choosing to no longer allow oral antibiotics. This will probably hasten things, since she has been constantly fighting infections. She is now strictly on pain meds and oxygen, if needed. She is in such pain, and the doctor said the antibiotics are just going to prolong that pain until the inevitable comes. She is ready to go.

Please pray for her, if you would, and for my wife, Dorothy, her brother, David, and the rest of the family.

Thanks,
Owen

P.S. There is at least one more part of silence coming, probably two. Plus I still have a number of things to share from the monastery experience. Just please be patient for awhile.

Grace and peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan Dalzell said...

Owen, I just saw on WF that Dorothy's mom had passed away. Though there are blessings in that, I'm sure there is pain too. I'm praying for all of you today, especially Dorothy and her brother.

Dan

6:15 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

For those of you who check here, but haven't heard, Dorothy's mom died early Tuesday morning. I'm sure that Owen and Dorothy would love your prayers in this matter. I haven't talk to him about this, but my guess is that he'll have too much on his plate to post for a while.

Tones

3:18 PM  
Blogger Owen B. said...

Thanks to all for prayers and to Dan and Tones for posting here. Sorry I didn't have my set up working right.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home