life in the suture zone...

In the earthquake faults between tectonic plates, the suture zone is the in between place where they meet. I find in that a metaphor for the times in which we live... and invite your conversation in the suture zone.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bakersfield, CA, United States

... a struggling, but mostly joyful, apprentice of Jesus.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

life on the edge of the raft...

As a graduate student many years ago (before I became ill and had to give it up), I read a journal article entitled Life on the Edge of the Raft. The writer of the article suggested that life with God, as she observed it in the sacred writings, was a bit of a lonely, topsy-turvy experience. You didn’t know where you were going. And you were going wherever the raft and the currents pushing the raft decided you should go.

She wasn’t arguing for randomness in direction. She was just suggesting that God -- along with his purposes and directions -- was difficult to understand. If not impossible at times. Even most times.

I have found that to be true.

Years ago, as I was going through Experiencing God by Blackaby with my friend Wade, my sister gave me a CD of the same name. One of the songs on it likened God, and especially the movement of the Holy Spirit, to a rushing river. All we can do is jump in. Or not.

We can stay in the raft. Or not. (This was before the movie Jaws, which just goes to show how truly ancient I really am. ;-) )

Those are two very frightening metaphors. I don’t know that they are completely adequate. In fact I know they are not. But I have been discovering their truth over the past nearly 30 years since I first read that journal article.

With only the chutzpah and ignorance of the young, I did my best to preach a sermon with the same title. People endured it, I’m sure. I didn’t know what I was talking about. It seemed to ring true, even then. But, truthfully, I had no clue. None.

I think I would preach that sermon differently today. Same metaphor. Different conclusion. Maybe no conclusion yet. Just leave them hanging for the moment....

Life on the edge of a raft. Sounds about right.

Grace and peace,

Owen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home