life in the suture zone...

In the earthquake faults between tectonic plates, the suture zone is the in between place where they meet. I find in that a metaphor for the times in which we live... and invite your conversation in the suture zone.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bakersfield, CA, United States

... a struggling, but mostly joyful, apprentice of Jesus.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

...on the journey in between...

Well, I've finally succumbed to the blog world. After posting for over a year on at least four other blogs and one online forum, I've decided to take the plunge and launch this.

Usually, I've noticed, these things begin with an explanation of why the blog has been created. This usually includes some noble ideals, some "I hope to be a better person" statements, and such.

I'm blogging for several reasons...

First, I'm on a journey through life and find myself inbetween. The train has left the station, so to speak, but has no idea where it's going to end up. To change metaphors, my life has been spent in the suture zone, where the landmarks are not all that distinguishable or constant. It's not a comfortable place to be. But it's where I suspect a lot of us live.

Second, when I'm posting on other blogs, I find myself with other things to say, other questions to explore, and with no place to enter dialogue about them other than through more comments. I know this isn't the best reason to have a blog, but, hey, it's my blog. So there!

Finally (not really, but this post is too long already), I am a writer and I need the discipline to practice my craft and explore ideas that may ferment into something the publishing world might pick up and actually pay for. It has long been my dream (and for awhile my pursuit) to make my living as a writer. This may or may not help in that endeavor. I know. It's a selfish reason. But understand that I have been encouraged to write, and even chastised for not exercising this gift, by others for many years.

You need to know that I come from a profoundly Jesus-influenced perspective, and most of my postings on this blog will deal with life from that perspective. That doesn't mean I agree with the TV preachers or the Evangelical-Leader-of-the-Month or many of the other visions people have of Christianity and Christians. It's just to let you know that, as I say in my description, I am a struggling, yet mostly joyful apprentice of Jesus and I'm on a journey. I invite you, no matter what perspective you come from, to join the conversation. Just keep it respectful, okay? Otherwise, I will erase the comment.

For the few of you who find this remote corner of blogland, welcome. It's good to have traveling companions.

Owen

8 Comments:

Blogger CL said...

Sweet! Rock on Owen!!! I hope all is well with you and Dorothy. Blessings!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

Found you through your comment to Mike Cope's blog today, one of my daily stops in "blogland," as you put it. Welcome to blogging. When I saw your title, "life in the suture zone," I assumed you must be a doctor! Shows what I know about California!

I've just been blogging since the middle of February, but it is amazing who all you will meet and find along the way and who will find you. Stunningly amazing and thrilling. Makes our Christian walk that much more communal, I think. I now have good Christian "friends" literally all across the country.

Stop by and visit me sometime. I was once a newspaper editor and journalist and am mostly doing humorous and fun "stories," although with a lot of serious posts in the mix, too.

If you haven't already, check out Patrick Mead's blog at "tentpegs.blogspot.com" because he is hilarious. A very good writer (and minister in Michigan). Another great one I read is by John Dobbs, a minister in Pascagoula, Mississippi. You can find him through Mike's comments for today posting as "JD". His blog for today is priceless.

I'll be checking back in on you. Good luck!

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P. S. John Dobbs' blogsite is "http://remains.blogspot.com/"
for the record.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Owen B. said...

Thanks, Chris.

And welcome, Dee. I'll try to check out those websites and visit occasionally.

Owen

4:04 PM  
Blogger Tim Castle said...

Owen,
Welcome to the ever-swelling ranks of the blog army! I look forward to reading your thoughts.

-T.C.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Owen

I'm not sure if I've said put this into this term, but I'm a fan of your writting. I always make it a point to read what you write (usually more than once) whenever I have the opportunity. I'm glad to see that you have a regular outlit for it now.

Tones

8:42 AM  
Blogger Gem said...

There is no right reason to blog. Do it b/c you do it! I found you via comments on Mike Cope's blog, hope to read more from you.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Owen B. said...

Welcome, "gem".

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home